Welcome to the Hornets Rugby Club, a rugby club steeped in history and with a strong sense of community. Founded in 1960, our club has a rich heritage and has been a pillar of the local community for over 60 years. In this article, we will tell you more about who we are and what we stand for.
The Hornets Rugby Club is a non-profit organization that operates on the principle of promoting rugby as a sport and building community through rugby. We offer programs for men, women, and juniors of all ages and skill levels. Our club is built on a strong foundation of volunteerism, with dedicated coaches, referees, and administrators working together to provide a safe and enjoyable environment for all.
Our mission is to promote the sport of rugby and to foster a strong sense of community within our club and beyond. We strive to develop players both on and off the field, and to instill values such as teamwork, respect, and sportsmanship. We believe that rugby is more than just a sport; it is a way of life.
At Hornets Rugby Club, we value:
- Community: We are dedicated to building a strong sense of community through rugby.
- Inclusivity: We welcome players of all ages, genders, and skill levels.
- Sportsmanship: We uphold the values of fair play, respect, and integrity both on and off the field.
- Development: We are committed to developing players both on and off the field, and to providing a safe and enjoyable environment for all.
- Volunteerism: We believe in the power of volunteerism and rely on the dedication of our coaches, referees, and administrators.
We offer programs for men, women, and juniors of all ages and skill levels. Whether you are a seasoned veteran or a beginner looking to learn the ropes, we have a program for you. Our programs include:
- Men’s Competitive Rugby: Our men’s competitive team competes in the Alberta Cup, the province’s premiere rugby league.
- Men’s Developmental Rugby: Our men’s developmental team is focused on skill development and personal growth.
- Men’s Recreational Rugby: Our men’s recreational team emphasizes the social side of rugby and building community.
- Women’s Competitive Rugby: Our women’s competitive team is a top contender in the Alberta Women’s Premiere league.
- Women’s Developmental Rugby: Our women’s developmental team is focused on skill development and personal growth.
- Junior Rugby: We offer programs for juniors of all ages, from U5 to U18.
Why Choose the Hornets?
We have a full time Director of Junior Rugby, Wayne Williams, who is a World Rugby Educator and NCCP Level 3 coach. Our coaching team are NCCP level 1 & 2 certified. The Hornets offer our own coaching program “The Hornets Way” to all age grade coaches and managers. We have certified Athletic Therapists attend all practices and games. We work closely with the SHRed Concussions (Surveillance in High Schools to Reduce the Risk of Concussions and their Consequences) team to complete baseline and post-incident concussion assessments, train players and coaches in concussion awareness, and implement concussion and injury prevention warmup strategies. All of our coaches are IRB rugby ready and concussion management trained. All of our coaches have police checks and vulnerable sector clearance, with a Coach Representative trained in Mental Health First Aid. Our junior program is the largest in Alberta, with consistent city and provincial titles. The most important, we have fun!!!!!!
How to Get Involved
If you are interested in joining the Hornets Rugby Club, there are many ways to get involved. You can visit our website to learn more about our programs and registration, or you can come down to one of our practices or games to see us in action. We welcome players of all ages, genders, and skill levels, and are always looking for new members to join our community.
Thank You for Noticing Us!
Thank you for taking the time to learn more about the Hornets Rugby Club. We are proud of our heritage and our commitment to promoting rugby and building community. We hope to see you on the field soon!